Ed Begley, Jr. Chooses Hurd for Green Renovation
Energy efficient windows, doors prized by award winning environmental leader
Medford, WI – September 4, 2009 – Whether the motivation is economical or ecological, most homeowners these days have energy-efficiency in mind when they make plans to remodel or build. So when environmentalist actor Ed Begley, Jr. decided it was time to expand his garage and guest room, it was an easy decision to have earth-friendly Hurd windows and doors installed. Now that his green remodeling project is complete, he says “I’ve never been happier with a door or window in my life.”
Considered an environmental leader in the Hollywood community for many years, Begley loves his ultra-efficient windows and doors. Expanded from 300-square-feet to 600-square-feet, the space above the garage is still a guest room, but it has now become his office as well. “I’m here everyday. This is my ‘Man Cave.’ The place I spend all of my time behind these beautiful windows and doors.”
Begley has embraced Hurd’s products for several reasons. “I start with the environmental angle always. Not only is it good for energy efficiency to keep warm in the winter and cool in the summer, but for peace of mind.”
For the eco-friendly renovation, Begley chose Hurd’s ultra-efficient aluminum-clad wood windows and doors. The products are recognized for their sustainable efficiency, quality and unique green features, including:
• All glass contains approximately 25 percent industrial recycle.
• All aluminum contains approximately 25 percent post consumer recycled scrap.
• Anodizing, which is more environmentally-responsible than painted cladding, is a standard Hurd option.
• Hurd’s CoreGuardTM to promote long-life sustainable wood windows and doors, and protect the wood from moisture. Its ingredients are non-volatile and among the most environmentally-friendly preservatives available.
• Hurd’s ComfortGlazeTM featuring unique, energy-efficient performance characteristics that save on energy costs, reduce solar heat gain, and mitigate perceived noise by up to 50 percent.
• Hurd’s exclusive ClimaGuard SPFTM glazing is a smart solution to promote sustainable interiors by blocking 99.9 percent of damaging UV-A and UV-B rays. It is credited with dramatically reducing fading, and extending the useful life of carpeting, furniture, and other furnishings in the home.
• Heavy-duty extruded aluminum clad exterior that lasts longer than others and contains 25 percent consumer-recycled scrap.
• Low VOC content in all sealants, primer paint and adhesives.
• Hurd is an Energy Star® partner and nearly every window bears a National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC) certification label giving full disclosure of its energy efficiency, solar heat gain coefficient, air leakage and light transmittance.
Because of Hurd’s unique CoreGuard™ wood treatment system, Begley likes that he will be able to enjoy his windows and doors for a long time. CoreGuard contains three fungicides, an insecticide and water repellents that penetrate to the very core of the wood, providing an envelope protection against pests and rotting. Because they will not need to be replaced for years to come, Hurd windows and doors have a more sustainable design than the competition. He is also a fan of the ClimaGuard SPF™ glazing, which promotes sustainable interiors by blocking 99.9% of UV rays from entering the home and fading carpeting or furnishings.
More than just environmental reasons went into Begley’s preference for Hurd windows and doors, though. He also likes their noise abatement properties. “I live right near Laurel Canyon. That noise can really drone on. I close up these Hurd windows and doors, and it’s tight as a drum and quiet as a church.”
Additionally, he likes the security offered by a Hurd door. “I got the one with three latches on it. It really grabs tight, sealing very good top and bottom and all the way around. It’s a strong door in every way. For your personal safety and your energy efficiency, it’s a great door.”
Hurd, a recognized environmental leader, itself, with such programs as its “Simple Guide for Building Green,” welcomed the opportunity to work with such a positive green role model. According to HWD Acquisition President Dominic Truniger, “We’re thrilled that Mr. Begley is so excited about the environmental qualities of our products. Hurd is considered an early adopter in the green building category, so it’s nice to work with someone who shares our passion for sustainability.”
Begley’s final verdict on Hurd windows and doors is that he wants more of them. “I’m going to tell you right now, when I do a remodel on the home, you probably don’t need to guess what kind of doors and windows are going in. It’s going to be all Hurd.”
The new series “Living with Ed” documents the eco-friendly adventures of Begley and his wife Rachelle, including a close look at his Hurd windows and doors. It will premier on Oct. 21st on Planet Green. For more information about the show, visit livingwithed.net.
ABOUT Hurd/HWD Acquisition, Inc.
HWD Acquisition, Inc. is headquartered in Medford, Wisconsin. The company recently acquired the assets of Hurd, a brand with a 90-year tradition of building custom wood windows and doors to the highest standards of excellence and quality. Hurd products, which are sold exclusively through more than 400 distributors in the United States and Canada, and in 20 countries worldwide, are manufactured by approximately 500 craftsmen. With factories in Medford and Merrill, Wisconsin, Hurd products are manufactured in more than 1 million square feet of production space. For more information, visit www.hurd.com or call (715) 748-2011. Toll free: 1-800-433-4873.
About Hurd/HWD Acquisition, Inc.
HWD Acquisition, Inc. is headquartered in Medford, Wisconsin. The company recently acquired Hurd Windows & Doors, Inc., a brand with a 90-year tradition of building custom wood windows and doors to the highest standards of excellence and quality. Hurd products, which are sold exclusively through more than 400 distributors in the United States and Canada, and in 20 countries worldwide, are manufactured by approximately 600 craftsmen. With factories in Medford and Merrill, Wisconsin, Hurd products are manufactured in more than 1 million square feet of production space. For more information, visit www.hurd.com or call (715) 748-2011. Toll free: 1-800-433-4873.